Updated: Mar 23, 2022
Reading time! 📖 ⏰
As much as I would love to say “my kids have always loved to read”, I can’t because they haven’t.
They would much rather be on electronics. 💻
💛 📚 However, they DO love books! They love for me to read to them, they love to listen to read-alouds & hear stories retold.
It’s still a struggle sometimes but here’s a few things that have helped encourage them to read more...
1. We set aside 30 mins to an hour each day for reading
2. I pull out interesting books and sit them out in plain sight on tables & in the bathroom. Standing them up helps!
3. When reading aloud, I stop at an exciting part and close the book. Then I leave it out for anyone who may be curious about what happens next. 👀
4. I read the book aloud first, then offer it for the child to read.
5. I reread favorite books over & over & over & over & over .... and ask the child to read parts with me because they have it memorized!
6. We have Reading Time BEFORE Electronics.
Same with Paperwork before online classes. Something about the overstimulation of electronics makes it hard for my kids to focus on a book after they’ve been looking at a screen.
7. I use reading time as a time to cuddle & be silly. We sit close & snuggle up. I make silly faces & use silly voices 😜
🚨MOST IMPORTANTLY🚨 I read books they enjoy! I save books that work on phonics, sounding out words & sight words for another time!
I find books that are funny, exciting and filled with rich language, new words & ideas, drama, conflicts & everyday day issues that they can relate to.
*If it’s not going well, my youngest will let me know and we hurry up and find another book she likes. 😊
What are some of your kid’s favorite books?
How do you get your kids to read more?
If you’d like more info or want to learn how I make reading EASY by focusing on Reading Comprehension, comment below or email me at email@example.com
For help creating a Homeschool schedule that lets you focus on your business while homeschoolin, book a free Discovery Call here: https://calendly.com/mareaparson